Porcelain tile is an ever-popular choice for flooring, as well as other home applications, such as for walls, bathroom showers, and counter-tops. Its durability and style will ensure it remains a part of your home for a long, long time. Properly maintained porcelain tiles will outlast other common flooring options, such as carpet, laminate flooring, or vinyl. The question then becomes, how do I clean and maintain my porcelain tile to keep it looking its best?
What product(s) can I use to clean my porcelain tile floor?
To clean your porcelain tile, you’ll want to use:
- Soft-bristle broom
- Vacuum with a brush attachment
- Mop (microfiber is a good choice) and/or cleaning towel
- White vinegar and water, or a commercially available tile cleaner
What are the steps to clean my porcelain tile floors?
First, sweep the area, and then vacuum. This ensures that loose dirt is removed and does not become lodged in the corners of your tile.
Next, prepare your cleaning solution. You can use a half-cup of white vinegar in a gallon of warm water. The vinegar will help to dissolve stains, as well as disinfect the tile’s surface.
Dip your mop or cloth into the solution and wring it out. Mop your porcelain tile, making sure to work your way over the entire surface. For a larger floor surface, focus on one section at a time (usually two to four square feet), and make sure you have an exit strategy! You don’t want to track dirty footprints over your freshly cleaned floor.
Finally, you can allow the tile to air dry, or buff dry using a clean towel or microfiber cloth.
What product(s) should I AVOID using to clean porcelain tile?
- Do not use products containing ammonia or bleach; these can affect the color of your porcelain tiles.
- Do not use hard bristle brooms or brushes as they can scratch your tile’s surface.
- Do not use oil or wax on your porcelain tile—read on for other ways to get your tile to really shine!
How can I remove stains from porcelain tile?
By nature, porcelain tiles have a stain-resistant finish. If, however, you find yourself with troublesome spots after cleaning, try these tips:
- Wet your cleaning cloth with distilled white vinegar and wipe the affected area. Allow the vinegar to set for several minutes before wiping away.
- Sprinkle baking soda onto the stain. Rub the area with the baking soda, and rinse away. Dry with a clean towel.
- Focus on water spots as soon as you “spot” them; water spots can become more difficult to remove with time, so tackle them as soon as you see them pop up!
Porcelain tiles offer a contemporary look with the benefit of durability. Cleaning regularly and wiping down with a soft microfiber cloth will keep your porcelain tile in sparkling shape!
JC Floors Plus has a large variety of porcelain tiles, including wood look, concrete, marble, stone, and multi-toned looking tiles for any application, for home or business. We have two showroom locations in Florida. Come visit us today or call:
Lauderdale Lakes Flooring Store – 954-735-4005